Do you realize how powerful your mind is? Well, I’m going to share some things with you that might just “blow your mind”!!!
The Amygdala are two almond shaped regions of the central brain responsible for your emotions (fear, anger and sadness), survival instincts (fight or flight response), and memories. They can be responsible for recalling emotions that you may not want to remember, but are stored for recall.
For about 10 years now, I’ve been going through the motions involved in EFT or now more commonly known as Tapping. This is a procedure that is used when you have issues to deal with that involve emotions which covers just about everything I can think of!
You can alter the responses you generate as a result of certain memories, or emotions from the past, thereby changing how the amygdala works for you.
Stress is a huge part of today’s society and many people don’t know how to deal with it, let alone get rid of it! You do need some stress in your life, but not to the excess we have been living with in our lives. Guess what, the amygdala is central to stress and how you process it. If you have children, you know what stress is; if you work, you know what stress is; if you have a spouse, you know what stress is; if you have an illness/disease, you know what stress is; if you are a caregiver, you know what stress is; if you’ve lost a loved one, you know what stress is. Life is one big stress, but you can help get through a lot of the stresses that are involved if you know how.
Some people use meditation, alcohol (another stressor), mindful acts, prayer, sleep, eating (adds to the stress), or EFT/Tapping. And I’m sure there are so many more methods – this is just one of them that I know works.
So, what is EFT? EFT is Emotional Freedom Technique and is accomplished using a sequence of tapping on meridians on your body. It is not done by someone, it is done by you! It is up to you to determine what it is that is causing your issues and apply the tapping technique to help you overcome those issues. By the way, this is not considered a quick fix, but it really is, and it lasts. Some people have been completely cured of their phobias (like being afraid of the dark, nightmares, PTSD symptoms, snakes, spiders, and a whole lot more).
What to use it on? Here are a few suggestions to use this technique on: pain; depression; health issues; stressors; sadness; overcoming emotional trauma, phobias and more. Let me just focus on a couple here, because you can adjust your tapping to accommodate anything that is “bothering” you.
How do you do it? Well, there are a few steps you need to memorize in order to use EFT/Tapping, so I’ll explain them here: (Diagram of the points you will tap)
- Before beginning, think of something that is causing you to be stressed or emotional and on a scale of 0-10 decide where you are on that scale with for example Pain in hands – when I get to this point it’s usually about an 8 out of 10. While tapping on the Karate Chop (KC) of one hand, repeat this phrase 3 times out loud: “Even though I have this PAIN in my hands, I deeply and completely accept myself” (can also be done quietly to yourself)
- Close your eyes for a moment and take in a deep breath.
- Open your eyes.
- Using your index and middle finger of one hand, tap lightly on the area just above your eyebrow on the inside part of the eye (above the bridge of the nose EB above in diagram), while saying “Pain In Hands” – tapping about 6-7 times.
- Start tapping the Side of the Eye (SE) while saying “Pain In Hands”, again tapping 6-7 times.
- Tap under the eye (UE) while saying “Pain In Hands”, again tapping 6-7 times.
- Tap under the nose (UN) while saying “Pain In Hands”, again tapping 6-7 times.
- Tap under the lips (UL) while saying “Pain In Hands”, again tapping 6-7 times.
- Tap the collar bone (CB) while saying “Pain In Hands”, again tapping 6-7 times.
- Tap under the arm pit (UA) while saying “Pain In Hands”, again tapping 6-7 times.
- Lastly – Tap the top of the head (TH) while saying “Pain In Hands”, again tapping 6-7 times.
- Then relax and with your eyes closed, take in a deep breath and exhale slowly.
You can shorten your statement using just the word PAIN while saying your statement as your brain already knows you are talking about the pain in your hand(s).
If, after completing this technique once, you still have pain, simply go through the steps again until your pain scale has dropped down to “0”.
This, in fact, is a very short version of the EFT procedure. For a more complete and in-depth explanation, you can click this link that will take you to an EFT site and manual to give you more in-depth information. This is where I first learned about EFT by the founder – Gary Craig.
I know a lot of people may just shake their head and say – “Oh, this is just another one of those far out suggestions that do nothing”, but be assured, this is used by millions of people to help them overcome a lot of stresses/pain/ phobias in their lives. It’s cheap (FREE) to do, there’s no medications involved, and you can’t hurt yourself if you use it. So go for it. I hope you get some help from it if you feel you need it.
Have a spectacular day and week ahead.