I’ve tried all kinds of recipes for English Muffins but this one I put together recently and wanted to share with you. The original recipe is definitely Paleo from Running to the Kitchen, but I really needed it to be AIP without the nut flour or eggs. So I tried it with Otto’s cassava flour and a gelatin egg and believe it to be the best new English muffin recipe.
I like to put some nitrate/nitrite free turkey slices in between the two pieces of this great “bread” or you could put jam or butter on it too. It could also double as a burger bun!
AIP English Muffin
My new Best English muffin recipe.
- 1/4 cup Otto's Cassava flour
- 1 Tbsp Coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Gelatin egg See below for instructions
- 1/2 Tbsp Coconut Oil or Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
- 2 Tbsp Water
Place all dry ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together.
Make gelatin egg - 1 Tbsp gelatin, 1 Tbsp water - mix thoroughly. Let sit a couple of minutes, then add 2 Tbsp Hot Water - mix thoroughly. Add to wet ingredients.
Add the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Grease a small ramekin and transfer the mixed batter into it.
Microwave on high for 2 minutes.
Remove from microwave (be very careful as dish will be HOT). Slice in half horizontally and place both halves into your toaster oven (or toaster) for about 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned.
Once done, remove from the oven/toaster and use as you would any English muffin.
If you choose not to use your microwave, use muffin rings and a fry pan on the stove top.
- Follow instructions through step #3 above.
- Grease a small fry pan and inside of English muffin ring.
- Turn on heat to medium low on stove.
- Transfer batter to the ring in the fry pan.
- Place lid on fry pan and cook for about 1-2 minutes covered.
- Set timer for 10 minutes to cook first side of muffin in the covered fry pan.
- When the timer goes off, remove the ring from the English muffin and flip to other side.
- Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Check to ensure the muffin is cooked through.
- Remove muffin to cooling rack and cool completely - about 30 minutes.
- Split open the muffin, either with a fork, or with a sharp knife.
- Using a fry pan, cook the inside of the muffin til browned - about 2-3 minutes, or place muffin halves in your toaster or toaster oven for 4-5 minutes.
Otto’s Cassava Flour is not available in Canada at Amazon.ca, but this one is and the Coconut Flour is as well: