This recipe came in very handy recently when I was entertaining our neighbors after returning from the sunny south.
You can use any meat or combination of meat/poultry in this recipe if you wish. I used ground turkey and it worked out really well.
This is a two part recipe so you will find two recipes below. First the meatballs.
Meatballs with Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 cup sweet potato purée (Leftover mashed sweet potato works great. Or bake a sweet potato and mash it up.)
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt (or pink salt)
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- **Optional for seed reintroduction:
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
Preheat oven to 450F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
Place all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl & knead until fully combined.
Take 1 Tbsp. of mixture at a time & roll into balls. Place evenly on the baking sheet.
Bake for 12-15 min. (They are done when cooked through & starting to brown.) While they are baking, make the sauce.
and for the sauce:
Sweet & Sour Sauce
- 2 cups fresh pineapple cubes (about 1/2 a pineapple)
- 1/4 cup bone broth , cool
- 1 Tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp. raw honey
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh , grated ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp arrowroot starch
- 1/8 tsp turmeric powder
- sprinkle of salt
Purée pineapple in blender or food processor (you should end up with 1 cup pineapple purée).
In a small bowl or cup, stir together bone broth & arrowroot starch. Put into a large saucepan along with the pineapple & the rest of the ingredients. Whisk together.
Cook over medium heat, constantly whisking, until the sauce has boiled and thickened.
Add the cooked meatballs to the pan of sauce. Let simmer on low for a few min. Serve hot.
The sauce can be used on it's own, hot or cold, as a dipping sauce.